Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:23:56 +0000
From:      "mike ndabarasa" <freebsd@nur.ac.rw>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dhcp question

hello,
i have here a question about how we can secure DHCP use in a
network.
as i understand DHCP use broadcast to function.
this means a desktop power up and then querry in the network
who can provide it an IP address.the first available dhcp
server makes an offer and .....

let's suppose now for one reason(a user was just trying to
"learn" how a dhcp server works,someone with bad intentions)
there is one misconfigured dhcp "server" that stands there
in the network and you don't know about its existence.it's
making offers upon requests from clients and those offers
are not acceptable for our precise network.
we will end up with clients with IP addresses that will
prevent them from being routed to others networks since they
are not relevant to our network.

here is my question:
====================
how do i know who in my network is making dhcp offers so
that i can recognize officials dhcp from un-officials.
i understant one way is to check running processes on every
machine but this may be a daunting task.
i want a tool that i may use from my desktop before i go
down to the identified troublemaker.

NDABARASA MIKE
*** CCNA(Cisco Certified Network Associate) ***
*** CCAI(Cisco Certified Academy Instructor) ***
National University of Rwanda
COMPUTING CENTRE
E-mail: mike@nur.ac.rw

Voice: