Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 2003 07:57:27 +0000
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Software patents

David Kelly wrote:
> Moved to -chat because this does not belong on -questions. Not that it
> belongs on FreeBSD.org at all...
>
> On Friday 12 September 2003 04:18 pm, Jens Rehsack wrote:
>
>>But if any algorithm used in bsd will be patented in europe and
>>the patent became valid, they may have a problem either.
>

> If such a patent were issued in Europe then it would be invalid
> specifically due to the prior art in BSD.

Not surely, because the new law should allow to respect patents
which are issued years ago.

> I fail to understand how an invention implemented in software is any
> less worthy of protection than any other machine.

You speak exactly what I think. But I know also, those patent
laws as they should committed this month are dangerous. Not
even all is worth to be protected.

> Protest of the patent system is as old as patent history. Same old tired
> arguments claiming patents somehow stifle creativity. Seemingly a
> "patented technique" from any text on "How To Lie" is to be loud and
> first to claim the opposite of fact is true. Copying is not innovation,
> so claim patents and copyrights are preventing you from innovating.

Oh yes, I know. I own 1 patent and I leaded the development of
a new kind of software. If software patents will be possible, I
think the company I'm working in will try to protect the major
idea of the software, too.

But we are - what are the right words - not interested in
hurting free developers as other were (I've read about several
issues between big companies and one man software projects
where big companies sued them for hundreds of thousands of
dollars). We're interested in collecting enough money for
the next project.

So you don't have to argue pro software patents to me, I know
their advantages very well. But I can also see the danger it
going out from them in hands of companies as IBM, Siemens,
Freiherr Guenther von Grafenreuth, ...

Best regards,
Jens