Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 1999 09:06:37 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@caspian.plutotech.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: just so you all know how really whacky it can get...

>> The other problem that you are running into is that we currently don't have
>> a kernel thread dedicated to performing rescan operations and we attempt
>> to scan all possible targets in parallel.  I thought that I had the
>> necessary tests in there to error out cleanly, but I guess that isn't
>> the case.
>
>No, that can't be the right thing to do, can it? There is absolutely no
>guarantee about the order of completion, so that which had been da0 is now
>da1...

There is a difference between probe order and announce order.  The XPT will
rescan all devices in parallel and then announce them, in order, to the
peripheral drivers so that unit ordering is preserved.

>I'd actually like to have change the the flags so that you *don't* scan-
>let the HBA announce devices asynchronously, no?

Perhaps.  You'd have to add the 'async' stuff as a separate capability
from the 'I know what's out there' capability.  I'm not sure that all
media can do the async stuff (e.g. SCAM).  The XPT may have to initiate
a SIM level topology probe, wait for it to complete, and then iterate
through the results.

--
Justin