Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:37:01 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disappearing job

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 12:11:14PM -0400, David Banning wrote:
> I was editing a job in vi, then my hand slipped and I was back at
> the shell. When I went to edit the file again, it said the file was
> locked. A "ps ax | grep vi" showed that the application was still
> running. Where did it go?

There are two possibilities:

i) You managed to type Ctrl-Z or equivalent and put your vi session to
sleep.  If you type:

    jobs

you should see it listed.  You can resurrect it using 'fg'.

ii) You somehow managed to type something like the following to vi:

    :!/bin/sh

which starts up that shell as a sub-process of vi --- a slight abuse
of that vi-ism, designed for passing chunks of text from your vi
buffer to an external process.  In this case, if you type 'ps -lx' you
should be able to trace back through the chain of parent PIDs from
your shell back to vi.

To get back to your editor session just exit from the shell and hit
return when prompted to "Press any key to continue".

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow