Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 1995 13:34:59 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, taob@io.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: free vnode isn't

>    So how can increasing this break anything?  If an application
>limits itself to the assumption that a user can own 40 processes at a
>time, having the limit set to 256 shouldn't hurt.  In other words,

The 41th process would fail to fit in a table with space for 40.

>does it matter whether the default CHILD_MAX is 256, or that I type
>"unlimit" first to raise it to 256?

The kernel option CHILD_MAX doesn't change CHILD_MAX.  It changes
MAXUPRC.  To change the default CHILD_MAX, you would have to change
it in <sys/syslimits.h> and recompile all binaries that depend on it,
possibly including BSDI, ibcs2 and Linux ones.

Changing MAXUPRC has the same effect as typing `ulimit -u 256' in
sh before starting _every_ process.

Bruce