Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:39:20 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "andy t" <g_et1@hotmail.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: block hacker ?

The absolutely most effective way to do this is to pick up the
phone and call the system admin of the ISP that owns that subnet
and tell them they have a user that is cracking you, and then
ask what e-mail address to send the evidence to.

Speaking as the system admin of an ISP I can tell you that I can
count the times I've gotten e-mails and calls like that on the
fingers of one hand - but I will also tell you that I've investigated
all of them and in a few cases thrown users off the system and
handed their names and addresses over to the victims for civil
prosecution.  I really wish more victims would speak up instead of remaining
silent.