Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:26:35 -0500
From:      Poor Guys <dustpan@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kernel rebuild error

Hello again.

I was rebuilding the kernel (I saved my GENERIC as kernel.save so I always
have that) however, after I was done and it was compiled there wer no
errors.  After installing it I rebooted and it worked fine until it got to
the bottom of the boot routine where it has:

Additional routing optins:.
recording kernel -c changes
additional daemons: syslogd
Doing additional network setup: portmap.
Starting final network daemons:.
setting standard daemons: inetd cron sendmail.
Initial rc.i386 initialization:.
rc.i386 configuring syscons: blank_time screensaver
Recovering vi editor sesions
Local package initialization:/
starting local daemons:.
Fri Nov 20 16:06:27 EST 1998

and every line has Syntax error 'undefined symbol' blah blah....

I didnt quite catch it all.

But the worst part is that the delete, backspace, and all the arrows and
F1-12 keys do now function correctly.  The display
~[3D and all that good stuff.

I didnt actually put anything extra in the rebuild.  All I did was comment
out some things.  I was using 'The Complete FreeBSD' book and I took
everything real carefully and conservatively.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

I can produce the file if necessary.

Thanks

Neill rr4