Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 01:58:44 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      groggy@iname.com
To:        freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IP lookups

something i also notice is that now, for the first
time in the last 4 years, i can dial up with ppp on a
client and use all my internet programs without any nameserver
listed in /etc/resolv.conf!  i'm not using ppp's msext's,
and i can even kill named also, and have things run (on a client).

regarding the problem below -
why would telnet, FTP, and other Inet
utilities resolve ppp aliased addresses just
fine, while others like lynx and nslookup won't?
aren't they all calling the resolver for their lookups?

i still notice that the hosts file, for a probably
related reason, is only used by the resolver when
called by Telnet, FTP, Ping, and Traceroute, but
not by nslookup and lynx.

there's got to be some obvious problem here - ?

i also notice tcpdump doesn't dump symbolic addresses
(which i think is the default since there are switches
to force numeric dumps)

> > > BSD2 resolves 192.168.0.X just fine.
> > > BSD1's nameserver forwards to 192.168.0.13

> Just use a host address of .1 through .254 and this
> problem (?) will disappear.

this didn't do it.