Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 07:47:31 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Mark Kobussen <skjellyfetti@iname.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Car Mp3 Player

At 11:30 PM 1/12/99 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
>> Something that could be interfaced with a car would be cool, definitely.
>> Although a touchscreen LCD in the 'oversize' compartment would probably
>> work.. Namely the place where they put the stock stereo, and the little
>> compartment below it (Although some vehicles lack that).  They aren't
>> really cheap though.  Surprised you can get a Color LCD for 99 bucks.
>
>If it's the one I'm thinking of, it only takes NTSC input and requires
>a (complex, not-supplied) power supply.
>
>A *very* poor choice for the job.  I'd recommend gutting a Libretto and
>using that as the core of such a system - it has reasonable audio
>hardware, plenty of CPU, and a nice screen and power supply already.
>
>If someone has an L50 they want to sell cheap... 8)

As it goes I can get L50's (The P75's right?) for about 700 bucks, plus
ship (probably 15 bucks) I could get one on my doorstep by 10am the next
morning..

As it goes, I have a pretty bizarre idea of putting a GPS unit in with a
car laptop tray from Delorme Mapping (www.delorme.com) (hey they're a local
company here in Hickville :)), and a copy of Street Atlas.  I do NOT
particularly like their GPS unit though, and would insist on a Garmin 12XL
or something similar.

As it goes, you can put touchscreen capabilities to virtually anything.  So
putting a touchscreen assembly over the Libretto's screen would work rather
well I'd imagine.  However once I get my auto, I don't think I'm gonna want
to go too far into hacking the hell out of it... yet.

I've found most of the LCD's on the market, including from such places as
Jameco
(http://www.jameco.com) and the more common 1500-page free catalog
(anything under the sun) catalog of Newark (http://www.newark.com) require
a compatible LCD driver board and some other stuff.  Abusing a cheap laptop
(go on Ebay, you can probably find a POS 486sx33 or something on there for
cheap) would be a better way to go.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D