Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 01:30:26 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Kostas Papadopoulos <kpapad@hyper.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System stops 10min after starting a "make world"

On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 02:28:04AM +0200, Kostas Papadopoulos wrote:
> I've sofar wasted hours trying to pin-point the problem
>
> Symptom:
>
> The system stops (apparently due to going to suspension mode) exactly 10
> minutes (timed several times with a stop-watch) after I start a "make
> world". Otherwise, the system will happily run for hours, being idle or it
> can e.g. re-compile the FBSD 3.4 / 3.2 kernel without a hitch.
>
> Hardware:
>
> Motherboard: Gigabyte BX2000 (this one is supposed to be on the top of the
> list in the various Web-sites and forums). Have tried several versions v1.7,
> v1.8 (15-Dep-99) and v.F2 (21-Dec-99) of its Award BIOS. Have tried
> disabling Power Management from the BIOS and also tried various combinations
> (PM with APM enabled/disabled etc), without any success.
>
> Practically everything else on the system is irrelevant: The motherboard
> under test is stripped-down and has on it:
>
> 128 MB RAM ECC (have stress-tested it for days a month ago)
> AHA2940U2W (also tried an AHA2940UW, new UW/U2W SCSI cables)
> AGP S3 VGA
> IBM 309170 LVD SCSI, have tried with various disks/cables etc
> IBM 4.3 GB SCSI UW HD
>
> Software:
>
> Clean standard install of FBSD 3.4 with GENERIC kernel (no APM support).
> Btw, this motherboard exhibits the same behaviour under FBSD 3.2.
>
> It could be a bug of the motherboard  not honoring the BIOS settings about
> disabling APM and Power Management in general, but why does it seem to only
> happen with "make world" ?

Well, it certainly sounds like your BIOS power-saving feature
(especially as the timing is so accurate). As to why it only happens
with ``make world'', I would suspect that it is because the APM is
only monitoring keyboard and mouse (in)activity and you are almost
certainly not using either during a ``make world''.

> Any comments will be appreciated.
>
> KP.

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000