Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:28:45 -0800
From:      "Matt Wilbur" <matt@efs.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD SMP benchmarks / processing cluster

Hello,

We're costing out building a N node processing cluster (values of N starting
between 20 and 30) and are planning to use FreeBSD as the OS for each node.
One question we're dealing with is whether we're better off with N 1 CPU
systems, N 2 CPU systems, or N/2 2 cpu systems.. I don't think SMP systems
will give enough performance increase to warrant halving the number of
nodes..  Can anyone point me towards *any* benchmarks of FreeBSD's SMP
performance, be it FreeBSD vs. linux, FreeBSD SMP vs FreeBSD 1 CPU .. ?

Something we've talked about is that if BSD/OS's SMP is far superior, it may
be worth our money to go that direction.. but I'd rather avoid it if
possible.  We won't go the linux direction, even if their SMP is better.
(long story....)

The codes we've ported over so far (from Irix) are scientific applications
we plan to run serially ... no PVM, no MPI, just scripts sending the jobs
out and validating/collecting the results ....  We have this all running on
4 1GHz athlons in standard cheese-o $950 desktop systems now..

If anyone's still reading, any recommendations on low cost rackmount
systems?  We've called BSDi and VAlinux, but are looking for more vendors.
We checked out racksaver.com and ran away screaming after seeing one of
their systems opened up...  It seems like a lot of folks getting into the
rackmount x86 business are building "server" grade systems.. all we need is
ide/cdrom/floppy/cheesy video/intel or 3com nic ...  If one node dies, we'll
pop another in and keep going..

Thanks
Matt Wilbur