Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 06:42:41 -0500
From:      "Joseph E. Royce" <joe@freyr.cba.ualr.edu>
To:        Jerry <dr53003@alltel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha 164lx install

On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 04:53:17AM -0700, Jerry wrote:
> hi..  if i wasnt already bald i would have pulled my hair out
> by now..  i have this very expensive brick on my desktop..
> the alpha 164lx.  i found your software and thought
> everything would be ok, but i was running alphabios and
> have a 53c875 scsi controller.  it doesnt work so im
> wondering what does.  please dont say something compaq
> because i refuse to buy anything from them again considering
> how much they charge for unix and how little they
> have done to support the alpha since windows dropped them.
> thanks
> jerry

First, you will need to replace the alphabios with SRM. Please read
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/alpha/4.1-RELEASE/HARDWARE.TXT
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/alpha/4.1-RELEASE/INSTALL.TXT
plus a few other files in the same directory because they provide the
extra details you need to install on an alpha.

-HTH  Joe