Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 2004 08:50:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      Helge Oldach <helge.oldach@atosorigin.com>
To:        jbarrett@amduat.net (Jacob S. Barrett)
Cc:        julian@elischer.org
Subject:   Re: Solution for Resilient VLAN Trunk Bonding

Jacob S. Barrett:
>I have some questions about the ng_fec. Would it work if each interface
>was connected to a different switch?

I'd say this isn't an issue with ng_fec, but rather an architectural
point regarding EtherChannel as such.

I am not aware of any switch vendor that offers multi-chassis
EtherChannel. In fact many even require that the physical links
terminate on the same switch blade and don't permit distribution over
multiple blades in the same chassis.

>Everything I have read on the list says that they done it only with
>having "trunking" enabled on the switch as well.

That is definitely the case. Both ends must be aware that they belong to
a channel, and if you want decent resiliency they should also talk the
appropriate channeling protocol. Usually LACP (802.3ad); in the Cisco
case PAgP might suit you better. Neither is supported by ng_fec, AFAIK.

Be aware that the term "trunking" is commonly used for grouping multiple
VLANs onto one link (802.1q) in the switching world.

Helge