Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 11:13:49 -0300
From:      Rodrigo Ormonde <ormonde@trem.cnt.org.br>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with xview

Hello.

  I'm not sure if this problem is related with FreeBSD or XFree, but I'd
be glad if
someone could help me.

  I've just installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a new machine. Everything is
running fine,
except that *ALL* programs that use the xview library show the following
error messages:

bash-2.00$clock
xview: Notifer error: Bad File Number
xview: Notifer error: Bad File Number
xview: Notifer error: Bad File Number
xview: Notifer error: Bad File Number
xview: Notifer error: Bad File Number
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

  I tought this could be a XFree problem so I upgraded my system to
XFree 3.3.1, but
the problem continues. The more strange thing is that if I run a telnet
to my own
system (127.0.0.1) and then execute the programs, they run fine. (after
that, I
tought it could be something related to the DISPLAY environment
variable. I changed
the DISPLAY to the same thing that appears after the telnet, but it
didn't help)

  Any help or suggestions on where I may look for a solution is welcome.

  Thanks is advance,

  P.S. Please send a copy of the answers to me, I'm not on the list.

--
Rodrigo de La Rocque Ormonde
e-mail: ormonde@cnt.org.br