Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 16:25:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   VLB/Cyrix motherboard problems

Folks -- this ain't my week for hardware luck.

I just picked up a MV035 Vesa motherboard with a Cyrix 586 CPU (120 Mhz)
and moved my entire ISA setup to it.

I find my AHA1542CF Adaptec SCSI card fails to function in this environment
unless I cut the chip to non-turbo speed and disable all cache (internal and
256k external).

I know nothing (no, less than nothing about VESA Local bus) and the
hardware involved.  (I can however, probably draw timing diagrams on
a Vax 11/780 SBI).

I'm not a techical illiterate -- so pointers to the hardware specs and info
on the net to troubleshoot would be useful.

The board itself seems to work OK with my non-busmaster IDE controller
which was happily coexisting with the 1542 in my ISA 486/33.

The memory's new 60ns 2x36 parity. . .   I've tried every wait state, bus
clock setup, timing option.  I verified the motherboard jumpers.

Questions:

Does an ISA busmaster card need to be in a VESA busmaster slot. (I assumed
that the busmaster master/slave labels only applied to VESA cards
and ISA busmaster cards could go in any 16 bit slot.  (Boy I miss the
PDP11 Unibus.)

Has anyone else had a problem like this.  Symptom: The card is recognized,
runs ROM diags on the controller, sizes the scsi bus correctly.
It, however, doesn't see the FreeBSD partitions at turbo speed or any
speed with Cache on.  The OS/2 boot manager comes back and complains that
the default partition (FreeBSD on sd0) is not there.

If I leave it alone, dos boots, slowly.

I'm trying to figure out if it's the CPU, Memory, Cache or bus and
motherboard.

Suggestions, besides send it all back and eat the 15% restocking fee...

Bill

 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter  | 17 Meredith Drive, Tinton Falls, NJ 07724,
 908-389-3592                  | pechter@shell.monmouth.com
 I'll run Win95 on my box when you pry the keyboard from my cold, dead
 hands.  FreeBSD, OS/2, CP/M, RT11, spoken here.