Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 2004 04:12:41 -0000
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        pf4freebsd@freelists.org
Subject:   [pf4freebsd] Re: why multiple CARP groups

--Boundary-02=_eJmIBHAvQC5yFn4

On Tuesday 17 August 2004 20:22, Max Laier wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 August 2004 10:58, sam wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to get adviced by someone  for the usage of CARP+pfsync.
> > With the BIG example as described in the following page:
> > http://www.countersiege.com/doc/pfsync-carp/#big
> > I don't understand why create a different CARP group for each
> > application server instead of using only one CARP interface for 4
> > internal application servers is better.
> >
> > With only one CARP address for 4 application servers, traffic still can
> > be redirected to another app server if one is died. Unless one CARP
> > address is not efficient.
> >
> > Can anyone please explain the difference using multiple CARP groups
> > instead of one CARP address?
>
> The example uses a "rdr source-hash" rule to load balance over the four
> virtual addresses. You cannot use the CARP version of source-hash as the
> clients are behind the firewalls and will not balance as a result.

Sorry, meant to say: "You cannot use the CARP arpbalance ..." with the same=
=20
effect and (now much clearer (I hope)) reasoning. The servers will see only=
=20
the firewall arps and not those of the clients. While they will indeed see=
=20
the IP-Addresses, but CARP loadbalances on the arp-level. This is uses to=20
loadbalance between the two firewalls, btw.

> If one server dies one of the remaining 3 takes over and has to take twice
> the load until the failed server comes back (or the admin modifies the rdr
> rule).

=2D-=20
/"\  Best regards,			| mlaier@freebsd.org
\ /  Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier@EFnet
/ \  ASCII Ribbon Campaign		| Against HTML Mail and News