Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 02:06:46 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fcurrent@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com
Cc:        Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More on VM, swap leaks

> > Looks to me like you might have a bad SIMM, Greg.
>
> Another possibility is a bad emacs binary.  Especially since as part of
> the compilation process, emacs runs itself, loads in a bunch of LISP,
> then pukes itself out as a new executable.  I shudder to think what could
> happen if a buggy kernel or bad SIMM decided to rear its head at that point.

I'm having the same problems as well, and the Emacs binary was the
first thing I suspected. I have rebuilt it several times, with various
combinations of debug and optimisation flags (including none), with no
apparent difference whatsoever.

I've also swapped around SIMMs as well - I have 6 different SIMMs
here, and have tried all the possible permutations of those as well.

I accept that it may possibly be a problem with my system, but I think
it's unlikely, as the problems started as soon as I ran the new VM
code and none of the "obvious" solutions have fixed them.

The only time I've tried running outside X, the kernel panicked at the
point where Emacs would normally crash, with "freeing page held".

Incidentally, it's not exclusively Emacs that crashes - I have had
atrun exiting with a SIGBUS a couple of times as well, according to
the logs.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland | http://freefall.freebsd.org/~jraynard/
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk         | jraynard@freebsd.org