Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 1998 19:30:39 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Mike Jackson <muck@ida.net>, "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WordPerfect 8.0 For Linux works :-)

At 05:19 PM 12/19/98 -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
>At 03:25 PM 12/19/98 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
>
>>I'm looking at their port's Makefile at the moment; it's a bit fragile
>>in that it assumes that the user reads their instructions and installs
>>it into /usr/local/corel.
>
>Gee, that's a bit egotistical -- putting themselves right under
>/usr/local instead of in, say, /usr/local/etc/corel (which would
>follow the convention used by apache and others).
>
>--Brett

Take a look, Hughes's MSQL does it too.. if I recall MYSQL does too.. my MSQL is in /usr/local/Hughes, which is the default.  I find it convenient, but also a pain in the ass to have to add to my path.

Additional programs should go in /usr/local/bin, if it's a multi-file/tree deal it should be like Apache does and throw itself into like /usr/local/etc/<prog>...

What we need is some sort of insightful RFC on where vended software can go.. A whole protocol on installation dirs... I gotta say, at least FreeBSD (and many other forms of UNIX) has an easy tree.  Solaris has like /opt and /usr/ucb and all these inane little crannies where software is installed.  Many of them aren't even in the default path.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D