Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:19:53 -0400
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   VAIO GR300 Issues

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

Okay, got my Sony VAIO GR300 mostly working. I just have a few issues
I'm trying to work out and not having much luck with.

1) moused with jogdial doesn't seem to want to map the buttons. I tried
   doing a -m 1=3D3 (so that I don't have to do 1+2 for 3 with the
   touchpad) but it doesn't seem to have any effect in X, it just makes
   the button stop working all together.

2) APM isn't working right. dmesg shows that apm was detected, and I can
   do an apm -e 1 to make it say 'APM Management: Enabled', but none of
   the values ever show anything useful. It always says it's on AC power
   and everything else is unknown.

   I figure this one is an APM/ACPI issue. I know most people say to
   disable ACPI, and I tried that with my old GR300. However after
   doing that, it would often refuse to power on at all. Other people
   in a VAIO help forum said to leave ACPI on to fix it.

3) Is it possible to change X layouts on the fly? I have two layouts
   specified, one for dual head and one with just LCD. It would be nice
   to be able to change the layout without exiting X.

That's about it. On the whole, I'm very happy with FreeBSD on my
laptop. I know I probably can't get audio on this model, but that's
not a big deal for me. I am somewhat interested in finding out what
else I can do with the spic driver though. MAKEDEV doesn't seem to
have an option to create a spic interface, just the jogdial, but I
might be missing something. I was led to believe there would be an
ioctl interface to it as well for controlling other functions, like
the LCD brightness.

--=20
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx>           http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a20>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N@ o K- w O M+