Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2013 21:28:02 +0700
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fusefs-kmod does not work on 8-STABLE?

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 05:17:46PM +0700, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:27:10PM +0700, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> > I've got puzzled with the fact that fusefs-kmod apparently does not on
> > recent 8-STABLE: it builds and loads, but I don't see normal "fuse4bsd:
> > version 0.3.9-pre1, FUSE ABI 7.19" like I do on 9-STABLE (installed on the
> > same laptop with almost identical kernel config).
> >
> > The result is that /dev/fuse0 never gets created, and any fuse mount
> > attempt results in this message:
> >
> >   fuse: failed to open fuse device: No such file or directory
>
> I've traced the problem down a bit, it seems to be due to some weird
> brokenness of building modules outside the kernel: .ko file loads, but
> modevent() functions apparently does not execute at all.

I've found the culprit: the problem is in this command of the build:

    ld -Bshareable  -d -warn-common -o hello.ko.debug hello.kld

I had put /usr/local/bin in my $PATH before /usr/bin for a reason I don't
currently recall, and have binutils-2.23.1 installed.  As a result, ld(1)
in the quoted line above was called from /usr/local/bin/ld, which brought
in all the weird things I was observing: failure of fusefs-kmod, failure
of simple "hello world" KLD, "link_elf: symbol <blah> undefined" messages
when loading snd_hda(4) and nvidia(4) drivers.

How, does anyone have a clue why new ld(1) plays so badly with our system
toolchain on 8.x (at least)?

./danfe