Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:12:57 -0400
From:      Danny <nocmonkey@gmail.com>
To:        dwinner-lists@att.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd and MS Active Directory

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:02:46 -0400, Duane Winner <dwinner-lists@att.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anybody out there have experience with FreeBSD in a Microsoft
> Active Directory environment?

I do, but they remain separate entities except for the fact that I
manually created the DNS host/address records for my FreeBSD servers
in the Windows 2000/Active Directory DNS server, so that the Windows
clients can access the services provided by the FreeBSD box by
hostname.

> I am going to be delivering two servers to a client, both running
> FreeBSD 5.2.1 with Apache as the front-end web server, and postgresql on
> the backend database server.

So are all Windows boxes suppose to have access to this FreeBSD
server?  If so, simply setup a static IP for each FreeBSD server. Then
have the Active Directory DNS admin manually add the host records for
the FreeBSD servers.

> During a meeting with their IT people a couple of days ago, most issues
> were agreed upon, however, the director of IT informed me that I will
> need to make both of these boxes conform to their Active Directory network.

Besides serving up HTTP requests, what other traffic do they want
coming to or from the FreeBSD servers?

...D