Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:13:12 +0100
From:      Tore Lund <toreld@netscape.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to enable linux flash player in firefox

Andreas Davour wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
>
>> Flash9 is very unstable though, so you'll probably want to stay with
>> flash7 for now.
>
> Since I have had serious problems getting even Flash7 to work, following
> instructions found here at the list, could you please summarize the
> steps for getting the older Flash version running? I'm begining to
> suspect something more is needed than the information I've found. Do
> e.g. I have to run firefox under Linux emulation?

I think it is not a matter of detailing steps.  I have used the "steps"
in question many times over in order to get linux-flashplugin7 working
with native Firefox, with no luck whatsoever.

However, after installing 6.2-RELEASE, I have added some packages with
portinstall -PP, and for some reason, linux-flashplugin7 now works on my
system.  I suspect this happened because my PKG_SITES is set to
ftp:.../i386/packages-6-stable/.  Most likely, some library was updated,
and this did the trick.  Wish I knew precisely which update that was.
--
    Tore