Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 13:02:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Taavi Talvik <taavi@uninet.ee>
Cc:        Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a two-level port system?

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Taavi Talvik wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 1999, Rasmus Kaj wrote:
>
> >  RW> Alternatively, is it possible to have the port tree be essentially
> >  RW> empty (perhaps just the makefile and category directories) and then
> >  RW> just have it fetch the makefiles and make the directories on demand, for
> >  RW> the individal ports?
> > Rationale for moving stuff elsewhere
> >
> >  In my (recently updated) copy of /usr/ports there is 4819 files in
> >  */*/patches and 775 files other than md5 in */*/files. Scripts is
> >  another 270 directories containing 522 files.
> >
> >  Moving this files to the ftp sites would not only mean >6000 less
> >  files to cvsup, but also >4300 less directories (assuming files/md5
> >  could be moved to pkg/ or the port directory).
> >
> > Comments, anyone?
>
> Moving these files to ftp requires good automatic means to keep
> ftp servers updated. However as of today there are no such means
> available.
>
> CVSup is definitely easiest way to keep well defined collection
> of files up to date.

Folks, how about _admitting_ finally that our ports collection is a
database? We wouldn't need anything else than standard system tools to
maintain a ports.db file containing all that we want as DB records.

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------
// --- Small & Embedded FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/ ----