Date:      Sun, 1 Aug 1999 14:03:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        "Jan B. Koum" <jkb@best.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Hey kernel hackers, this is worth a read.

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Doug wrote:

> "Jan B. Koum" wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 08:58:09PM -0700, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> wrote:
> > > http://features.linuxtoday.com/stories/8191.html
>
> > >From the article:
> >
> > "Linux 2.4 also includes a completely rewritten networking layer."
> >
> > Great. After a few years from now when they get all the bugs out, they
> > will be right back to the quality of early 4.4BSD quality ;)
> >
> > However, the SMP stuff they are working on is something we need IMHO.
>
> 	Agreed on both counts. I also like the idea of shorter turnover time
> between major branches. We've already got a pretty considerable amount of
> stuff that can't be ported back to -Stable without major headaches. It's
> not always easy to know exactly where to draw the line, but I think that
> the move from 3->4 should probably take less time than the move from 2->3
> did.

Aye, and it shall. The 3.X branch should be the -STABLE branch for only
about a bit more than a year total, IIRC :) But 4.0 should also include
things that aren't even here yet, like pccard rewrites and the redone
VFS, maybe a rewrite of ipfw if we can agree on that, the IPv6 stacks
being merged in, PAO changes being accepted into the main branch (at
least some of them), finer-grained SMP (probably per-subsystem)...

The turnaround time will be less, but we'll still have a LOT of great
new things :)

> Doug

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/