Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 2010 16:47:19 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Packet steering/SMP

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010, Vincent Hoffman wrote:

> Fasinating stuff. I read http://www.ntop.org/blog/?p=86 to mean that the
> newer intel NICs had similar capabilities to the Chelsio T3, is it just a
> lack of driver and control support in FreeBSD or did I misunderstand?

The Intel cards I've looked at often have quite small tables -- appropriate
for directing packets for virtualization purposes (i.e., a few MACs to
specific CPUs), and fine for distributing using RSS, but not able to direct
tens of thousands of connections individually by 4-tuple to specific queues.
It wouldn't surprise me if newer generations of Intel cards support similar
features.

If you're interested in high-performance packet capture to userspace, this
GSoC project might be interesting though:

   http://wiki.freebsd.org/AlexandreFiveg/SOC2010AlexandreFive

Robert