Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 08:20:25 -0600
From:      "Matthew Meola" <mmeola@uswest.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Don't unplug that ... ::pfft::

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 08:54:45PM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> How do those of you who work with a building full of microsoft and
> graphite users prevent kind hearted souls (and cleaners) from turning
> your machine off after you go home? Or at other times, for that matter.
> They just don't realise how much damage it can do, and how much damage
> it _won't_ do to leave it on. After the event they look at you with
> tears streaming out of big eyes and say "I didn't know! I'm so stupid!"
> but it's too late then, you've already maimed them.

I prefer pictures implying acts of unspeakable violence.  :-)

Seriously, my thought is that someone who doesn't use a particular
computer ought not to be touching it anyway -- if it is on your
desk, and it is relatively for your exclusive use, then it's yours
to muck with, and they ought to be warned away.  High voltage works
well, and it is rather easy to wire.  Notes regarding anthrax
contamination on the power button also work well.

FWIW, 'Doze doesn't like to be arbitrarily powered down, either;
if the office boneheads are doing that, well, then, I guess they
deserve what they get.  Unfortunately, they will continue to include
you in the consequence of their own actions; see
http://ecotopia.com/webpress/stupidity/ for reference.

--
Matt Meola             KC0DXW             http://www.qsl.net/kc0dxw
Bailey, CO             ARES D6