Date:      Mon, 01 Dec 2008 06:36:36 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Regular Expression Help

--------------enigE77D70B09862C5E486412140

Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:

>> % perl -p -e 's/cn=3D([^ ,]+) ([^,]+),/cn=3D$2 $1,/' < foo.txt=20

> I still don't really understand *why* the above works but I'm trying to=
=20
> pick it apart now.

The RE breaks down like this:

/cn=3D([^ ,]+) ([^,]+),/
 cn=3D                     Match literal text 'cn=3D'
    (                    capture #1 begin
     [^ ,]               Character class: anything that is not space or c=
omma
          +              At least one of the above
           )             end capture #1
                         Match a literal space
             (           capture #2 begin
              [^,]       Character class: anything that is not a comma
                  +      At least one of the above
                   )     end capture #2
                    ,    Match literal comma

	Cheers,