Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 06:38:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Pontius Malmberg <p9nch@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multiple web servers behind firewall

Pontius Malmberg <p9nch@yahoo.com> types:
> i have one ip coming in on a cable modem, is it
> possible for me to setup a "gateway server" (maybe
> using name-based hosting) and provide multiple
> physical web servers behind firewall??? if possible,
> then how would i go about doing this?

Of course it's possible. You need to run an http proxy on the firewall
that lets you redirect to different IP addresses via name-based
hosting.

The question is whether or not such a proxy already exists. You may be
able to make Apache do this with a proxy module.  If there isn't a
proxy, you'll have to write it (which will give you a much better
understanding of what's going on in web servers).

> i am fully aware of the bandwidth constraint that
> comes with cable modem, but i just want to have the
> experience when i am going out there looking for a
> job? :o)

You're not likely to run into this problem when you're looking for a
job. Companies that want to run multiple web servers typically find it
easier just to buy the extra IP addresses they need. If you want
experience running multiple name or ip-based servers on one machine,
you can do that behind your firewall.

Even if there's only one of you behind the firewall, there's a
reasonable reason for wanting three servers: 1) Your real web server,
2) A test server - a clone of the web server that you install new
things on to test before pushing them to #1, 3) An internal server -
that runs things you don't want to make available to the outside
world. You can run the last two on a machine you don't expose the to
the world.

	<mike