Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 2021 18:49:10 +0100
From:      Marcin Wojtas <mw@semihalf.com>
To:        chinting <chinting.senao@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Zyta Szpak <zr@semihalf.com>,  =?UTF-8?Q?Kornel_Dul=C4=99ba?= <mindal@semihalf.com>,  Grzegorz Jaszczyk <jaz@semihalf.com>
Subject:   Re: Armada 7k8k & U-Boot/Device Tree

czw., 4 mar 2021 o 11:17 chinting <chinting.senao@gmail.com> napisa=C5=82(a=
):

> On 2021/01/27 =E9=80=B1=E4=B8=89 =E4=B8=8A=E5=8D=88 03:03, Marcin Wojtas =
wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I struggled a bit with Armada 7k8k with FreeBSD and U-Boot (more
> > general - FreeBSD and device tree) - the experience is not pleasant,
> > but unfortunately in this activity switching to EDK2 firmware is not
> > an opiton.
> >
> > On top of HEAD I see following issues (checked on MacchiatoBin, Armada
> > 7040 DB, Armada 8040 DB and a custom board). Device tree used is
> > aligned with Linux v5.10's.
> > - PCIE init hang on MacchiatoBin (it has to be disabled to proceed)
> > - CP110 interfaces do cannot operate - the devices such as SD/MMC and
> > USB time out.
> > KDB shows that no IRQs are received in GIC via ICU-GICP secondary contr=
ollers.

> > Does anyone use MacchiatoBin with U-Boot (and/or Device Tree) and see
> > similar issues?
>
> Yes, the same issues here. I use custom board based on Armada 7K.
> These is no Common PHY driver, so the related registers is still
> configured by u-boot.

This is expected, but not a blocker in any way.

> - SD/MMC on AP bus is working fine. I mount the rootfs on MMC.
> - Some I2C devices on SB busis good.
> - PCIE controller can be attached, not freezed. But no wifi driver to
> test my device.
> - USB on SB bus is broken too.

Today's main branch comprises a number of GPIO driver improvements
that could likely cause boot hangs on certain bords.

In order to enable interrupts for SB devices a ICU/GICP rework is
needed. Its first working version can be found here:
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D28803
however it has to be significantly modified before merge.

> > Was there a pair of FreeBSD - device tree revisions that fully worked?
> I modify device tree from the Marvell Linux v4.14.64

With above patch whatever is applied on top of the main's
sys/contrib/device-tree/src/arm64/marvell/ tree should easily work.

Best regards,
Marcin