Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 12:45:21 -0500
From:      "The Jetman" <jetman516@hotmail.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Mobile" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How Can I Get My WaveLAN/Orinoco Card Operational ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Smith" <freebsd_mail@yahoo.com>
To: "The Jetman" <jetman516@hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 21:36 PM

> Jetman,
>
> I have a wired gateway/firewall, so I cannot directly help, but I
> noticed an anomaly in your description of the routing:
>
> >Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif
> Expire
> >default   *        1.2.3.4            UGSc        1        0    wi0
> >1.2.3/24           link#7             UC          2        0    wi0
> >1.2.3.1            0:1:42:ca:66:3a    UHLW        1        0    wi0
> 1198
> >1.2.3.4            1.2.3.1            UGHS        1        0    wi0
> >127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          0        0    lo0
> >192.168.0  **      link#1             UC          1        0   sis0
> >192.168.0.108      0:3:b3:0:71:ba     UHLW        0       70   sis0
> 644
> >
> >where 1.2.3.4 is the address of the wireless and 1.2.3.1 is the ISP's
> >gateway address.  I "think" I have a working route to the outside
> world
> >(ie. I have defaultrouter="1.2.3.1" stmt in rc.conf.)
>
> *  I suspect it is just a result of how you "change alled" your netstat
> output, but you say 1.2.3.1 is the ISP gateway, but this output has
> 1.2.3.4 as your default gateway.  Is it possible you got them reversed?

    Greg:

    Negative.  I had to change things bec I use a static IP.  But this
is the routing I was given (allowing for the mandatory security changes)
by FBSD.  The only thing I did in this regard was to set defaultrouter to
"1.2.3.1".  I'm not knowledgeable enuf to do my own routes yet.

> ** How come this doesn't have 192/169.0/24?
>
> Also, I noticed you are using encryption.  Is that mandatory, and are
> you sure about entering the key in hex vs. ascii?

    WEP is mandatory, otherwise the wi0 doesn't get a carrier.  I've
tried using a key in ASCII *and* in hex.  The resulting key displayed
by wicontrol is the same....

> You didn't enable the firewall did you, or NAT?  You should consider
> testing without those first, unless you already had them working in a
> wired fashion.

    I *do* have those features enabled, however my initial tests have me
sitting in front of the FBSD console, issuing a simple PING to a known
IP (ie. my nameserver and the ISP's gateway.)  Until I can do this, I have
no way of knowing if *anything* is working, so I don't *use* anything other
than the essential utils at the keyboard.  But I will disable the gateway
and natd until I can at least PING something....  --  Jetman