Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2018 09:46:48 +0100
From:      Gerrit =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FChn?= <gerrit.kuehn@aei.mpg.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   high cpu irq load and slow boot after update from 10.4 to 11.2

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago, I updated an older storage server (2 CPUs, 4 cores
each, 48GB RAM, 36x4GB HDDs, 3 LSI-based mps controllers) from 10.4 to
11.2. The first thing I noticed was that booting takes much longer now. The
system probes each HDD (there are 36 of them, attached to mps controllers)
very slowly multiple times (I can see the light of each disk blinking,
it takes seconds to go on to the next disk), the whole process takes
several minutes (was much faster before).

A more nasty issue appears after a couple of weeks of operation (so far,
roughly between 15 and 30 days):
Suddenly there is a very high irq load on one of the CPU cores
(cpu<n>:timer), causing high system load and high cpu load (top easily
shows average load over 10, whereas it was always below 1 before). I cannot
find any process or device as a culprit. First I thought this problem can
only be made to go away by rebooting, but now I managed to get rid of it
(at least for some time, don't know if or when it will be back) while
checking out the latest source in background (I actually intended to fiddle
with some kernel settings, but suddenly the issue was gone after
persisting permanently over the weekend), causing.

Looking around, I found a couple of vaguely similar reports (like
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2017-January/064419.html),
but these all appear to be fixed by now.
I have a couple of other storage machines (mostly mps-based, but always
slightly different hardware) that show no such issue after updating to
11.2.

Any ideas?

cu
  Gerrit