Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 12:19:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>
Cc:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: WEP keys for an driver

Dave Cornejo writes:
| It doesn't matter to me which version gets used - I just need the
| capability to set the WEP keys.
|
| Some comments on your code:
| - WEP keysare variable length from 5-13 bytes, you should just check for
| >=5 & <=13 (it seems odd, but I have seen networks that use the odd
| sizes).

Really ... I need to check the WEP configurator again on Windows.  I thought
when I tried it it only let me do 40 or 128 not in between.  Also it also
it only excepted a hex string (the base code from wicontrol accepted an
ASCII string as well).

| - In an_setkeys() you allow 28 characters, the error message says 18,
| but really only 13 are significant.

Right 28 = max of "0x" + 2 * byte (5 or 13).  So 2 + 2 * 13 = 28.

That 18 sounds like a bug (stale cut'n'paste).

| - The AN_RXMODE_LAN_MONITOR_CURBSS was a good catch - I never tested
| that one.

Running tcpdump kept bitting me.  Hey why did ping stop :-(

| - The authentication handling in ancontrol is in error: there is no
| AN_AUTH_TYPE_EXCLUDE_UNENCRYPTED bit.  I should have added constants
| for the correct values for the authentication type.
|
|   0x000x - no encryption
|   0x010x - full encryption
|   0x030x - mixed cell (allow unencrypted)

In my manual on page 7-51 in the table for General Configuration Parameters:
+0x003E AuthenticationType
	0x01	Open
	0x02	Shared-Key
	0x04	Exclude Unencrypted
So this is were I got it.  I have DOC 710-004247, Rev B1.

I'm not sure what you are reading or maybe talking about.  It almost sounds
that you are talking binary instead of hex.  BTW I didn't ever get
"Exclude Unencrypted" to do anything usefull if I recall.  So maybe
my documentation is wrong.  If you have a newer one could you send it
to me?  I'm on my second version of the manual.

| despite what's in the driver, bit 2 (0x0004) is not used.  The bits as
| defined by Aironet engineering:
|
| #define AN_AUTHTYPE_PRIVACY_IN_USE 0x0100
| #define AN_AUTHTYPE_ALLOW_UNENCRYPTED 0x0200

AN_AUTHTYPE_ALLOW_UNENCRYPTED seems to be a new one.  Actually the are
both not listed in my manual.  I derived it from the posting by an
Aironet engineer on the Linux driver mailing list.  Where did you
find out about 0x100 & 0x200?

| I would like to see my structure changes checked in - there are an
| error or two and some interesting new elements in there.  In some more
| recent radio firmware, they provide normalized RSSI, and the IP
| address of the base station.  There are also a few other things hinted
| at in there that some may find interesting.  I should however add in
| some more constants.

I don't have any problem with that.  I was just worked on getting WEP going.

| I didn't provide patches to ancontrol as you did, but I find ancontrol
| is getting way too nasty with its switches.  Your patches look fine
| to me except that I'd really like to see a better way to specify
| volatile vs. persistent keys.

Agreed.  It did not fit in with the "primative" model that the WaveLan
cards use.  I tried to make it as clean as possible with the 3 flags:
      -	set any key
      - set mode
      - turn WEP on/off (looks like this needs to be expanded to
			 allow unencrypted traffic)
Unfortanetly I has to do some stuff in ancontrol to virtualize the
different register for the last 2 since they are munge into on but
should but are treated separetly in the Windows UI.  Linux just
sets them for and doesn't give you this flexibility so you may not
be able to interoperate in a valid windows network.

However, without the ancontrol changes it becomes difficult to set these
things from a user perspective.

Thanks for the review.

Doug A.