Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:36:01 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to remote update 4.10 -> 5.3?

--veXX9dWIonWZEC6h

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 09:30:37PM +0100, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> Has anyone managed to update a 4.10 system to 5.3 remotely, i.e. without=
=20
> console access, and without spare disk partitions?
>=20
> I have a bunch of 4.10 machines that are too far away for me to actually =
do=20
> the update hands on. I've tried it on a test machine, it fails half way=
=20
> through installworld, and really needs single user mode to succeed. The=
=20
> install procedure fails since it starts using the newly installed stuff,=
=20
> things like sh(1) and test(1), and they cannot find their libc.so.5, I=20
> guess...
>=20
> One idea I have is copying / and /usr to some other place and set ldconfi=
g=20
> and PATH=3Dsome/other/place and when building and installing. Haven't tri=
ed=20
> it yet, thought I'd hear anyone on this list has a better suggestion?
>=20
> Optimally, there would a couple of gigs on a separate spare disk partitio=
n=20
> so I could just install everything there and use it upon reboot. Problem=
=20
> is, there is no such space. :(

In general, my suggestion would be, don't do that.  Do you really need
to upgrade?  Remember, 4.11 is likely to be supported for security
upgrades into early 2006 so if your machines are working and you don't
really need the new functionality, I'd suggest avoiding an upgrade.

-- Brooks

--=20

--veXX9dWIonWZEC6h

--veXX9dWIonWZEC6h--