Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 2003 02:59:29 -0300 (BRT)
From:      Leonardo Lazarte <llazarte@mat.unb.br>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot install any port

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Leonardo Lazarte wrote:
> >    Unfortunately you have found a problem which those
> > in the know prefer to ignore.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> This is not true.  Patches to fix this problem are currently being tested
> on the ports build cluster.  I am also testing an alternate set of
> patches.

   My apologies, I shouldn't generalize. Some people replied
in the following lines "your system is old, you are lucky it
is working", or "the solution is so simple it does not deserve
to be mentioned".

   After seeing, in this and other lists, several people like me,
trying to find what was happening, I thought it would be helpful
if someone could post a fix (if available, even if a "dirty"
solution).

> >    The ports system has been broken with the last
> > upgrade, and many of us which have found the same
> > problem could not find a solution.
>
> Only for older versions of FreeBSD.  FreeBSD 4.7 and greater do not have
> this problem.

   Yes, that seems to be the case. And of couse there are
many people using old versions. Myself, I am still using 3.4
on some older machines due to hardware incompatibility with
newer versions.

> >    It has been suggested by some that you could copy
> > pkg_info from some newer version. Other person suggested
> > re-building pkg_install (in fact, it was incorrectly
> > suggested to build pkg_info), after cvsuping src.
>
> Assuming that was done correctly, it should have worked.  You would have
> needed to cvsup a version of pkg_install that had -O support for pkg_info.
>
> >    I tried both, with no luck.
> >
> >    I will go the hard way, re-installing the system, with
> > a new version.
>
> There are other options that were enumerated on this list as well as
> ports@.  You could have reverted bsd.port.mk to an earlier version where
> pkg_info -O was not used.

   Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I update automatically
my ports, so I don't know where I could find an old version of
bsd.port.mk.

   Regards,
   Leonardo