Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 23:11:38 -0500
From:      "Stephen Comoletti" <scomoletti@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Broken nic driver in 4.5?

I just upgraded a machine previously running 4.2 up to 4.5 release and have
noticed a number of problems with the nic in it. The machine is a DEC
personal workstation 300i+ with a DEC 21143 based nic built into the
motherboard. Under 4.2 it identifies as a dc interface and functions fine.
After the upgrade it still identifies the same but only has 10baseT, no
100base media types available, and autonegotiation fails. It does function
if
set to 10baseT/UTP.

I did check the mailing lists before posting but only found one related post
and no follow up with an answer to this specific issue. So I'm curious if
anyone knows a way to correct this or if I should submit a bug report.

Please make sure my email address is included in the reply as I'm not
currently on the list.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

dmesg output as follows (relevant lines)

dc0: <Intel 21143 10/100BaseTX> port 0x7c00-0x7c7f mem 0xfd7ff800-0xfd7ff87f
irq 10 at device 7.0 on pci2
dc0: Ethernet address: 00:00:f8:7a:cd:5f
miibus0: <MII bus> on dc0
dcphy0: <Intel 21143 NWAY media interface> on miibus0
dcphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, auto