Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 17:30:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Pat Barron <pat@transarc.com>
To:        Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
Cc:        Helio Coelho Junior <helio@compuland.com.br>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Password in a directory

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Jim Dennis wrote:

> > Is it possible to put a password in a directory, so the
> > user need to type to have access granted ?
> >
> > thanks!
> > HElio.
>
> 	I don't know of any way to do this using "standard" Unix
> 	conventions.

This is kinda grungy, but it has a similar effect:

Let's suppose you have /usr/protected, which you want to put a "password"
on.  You "chmod 111" this directory, so that it's contents can't be
read (except by root, of course).  Then you create another directory
within that directory, let's say you all it "secret"; it's name serves
as the "password".  Then you put the protected files into
/usr/protected/secret.  Nobody can get to those files without knowing the
"secret" directory name (which they can't see because of the mode bits on
the /usr/protected directory).

This is a hack, but it mostly works.

--Pat.