Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 00:24:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Some h/w recommendations please...

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Charles Burns wrote:

> >Monitor: I have heard good reviews about some Samsung models, again not
> >sure
>
> While, in general, I think Sony products are junk--they make very good
> monitors. Most companies do anymore. I do not know much about monitors, but
> an uncle of mine in the movie special effects biz recommends Sony, Hitachi
> (who recently announced that they would stop making them), and one other
> whom I cannot remember. I have never used a Samsung monitor.

The Sony Trinitron monitors were used for years as Sun and SGI monitors.
Their reliability, and quality, are pretty much second to none.

as far as picture quality goes, they're still in use by most high end
special effects companies. even, i assume, ILM. While i can't say for sure
on size issues (i run everything at home on a 17" monitor, admittedly,
LCD/Flatpanel.. that is, that which is not on my sun.. damn special
connectors..), i can say i've been happy with my trinitrons at work, not
to mention the lil sun beastie i have here at home.

my only complaint: they're heavy. really heavy. they tend to weigh more
than you expect.

anyhow, that's my $0.02.