Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 23:08:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        Lanny Baron <lnb@heretic.cybertouch.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: size of slices

There seems to be some limitations, and I am not sure what they are
exactly.  A recent message on the list mentions breaking a 40gig drive
into a 30gig and 10gig partition.

Personally, I wanted a ton of disk space in one place I would use a
hardware RAID.  Having a very large partition seems like a bad idea for
some intangible reason.  I prefer partitions between 4 and 10gigs which
allows me to move user directories to other partitions as the /home
partition gets to be a bit too full.

For example, I have a FreeBSD box at home which has a /home partition
which is 3 gig large.  Since I have been pulling down many mp3 files I
run out of space quite often as my collection grows.  Today I moved 1.8
gigs of mp3 files to /export2 which is a 5 gig partition which will now
let me download many more files.

Of course I could have created a large 20 gig partition, but I like the
fact that I get an early warning that the disk space is being used up.

Perhaps my methods are a bit quirky.  Maybe someone can offer a better way
to go.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?
http://www.greasydaemon.com/noms/ <- Why avoid MS?