Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:10:39 +1030
From:      Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD@insightbb.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD browsers...

--nextPart1388589.Ai24CmAQDO

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:59, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> I've going crazy trying to figure out the browser situation on FreeBSD.
>
> Could someone in the know, create a chart showing the various browsers and
> what plugins are available for each?
>
> I mean, damn, there's Mozilla, Linux Mozilla, Opera, (probably linux
> opera), Konqueror, Firefox.
>
> I'm trying to get plugins working in Firefox, and have been having lots of
> trouble, so I installed Mozilla, figuring I might get smarter and be able
> to find out how it knows where plugins are.  Then I realize (perhaps
> incorrectly, that firefox can use plugins for Linux Mozilla, not native
> mozilla...
>
> I've tried to use the info at http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html but I
> still can't get things to work.

Are you using the native firefox or the linux version? I would suggest you =
use=20
the native version (and mybe remove any linux versions you have installed t=
o=20
avoid any confusion).

If you have the native one, have you installed the linuxpluginwrapper port?

If you have done all that, it should now just be a matter of installing
 - acroread
 - linux-flashplugin
 - linux-realplayer

Then check the entries in /etc/libmap.conf and copy into it any lines you n=
eed=20
from /usr/local/share/examples/linuxplugginwrapper (as stated in the=20
pkg_message for the linuxpluginwrapper)

My /etc/libmap.conf looks like this:

libc_r.so.5                     libpthread.so.1
libc_r.so                       libpthread.so

# Flash6 with Konqueror (temporary setting)
[/usr/local/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so]
libpthread.so.0                 pluginwrapper/flash6.so
libdl.so.2                      pluginwrapper/flash6.so
libz.so.1                       libz.so.2
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3        libstdc++.so.4
libm.so.6                       libm.so.2
libc.so.6                       pluginwrapper/flash6.so

# Helix RealPlayer with Mozilla/Firebird/Galeon/Epiphany/Konqueror
[/usr/local/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so]
libstdc++.so.5                  libstdc++.so.4
libc.so.6                       pluginwrapper/realplayer.so

# Acrobat with Mozilla/Firebird/Galeon/Epiphany/Konqueror
[/usr/local/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so]
libc.so.6                       pluginwrapper/acrobat.so

# [ALPHA SUPPORT] Flash7 with Mozilla
#[/usr/local/lib/linux-flashplugin7/libflashplayer.so]
#libpthread.so.0                 libpthread.so.1
#libdl.so.2                      pluginwrapper/flash7.so
#libz.so.1                       libz.so.2
#libm.so.6                       libm.so.3
#libc.so.6                       pluginwrapper/flash7.so

Hope that helps you sort it out.

Cheers,
=2D-=20
Ian