Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 01:07:13 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        courtney@whtz.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: home directory permissions

courtney@whtz.com wrote:

>      I am trying to add a user with his home directory on a different hard
> drive (storage limitations), Free BSD will let me add the user just fine,
> but my MTA tries to deliver mail it reports an error or "world write-able
> directory"..SO here is my question- what permissions do I need to assign to
> the home directory?  and what command will give me those (i.e. chmod
> ??????)

well, there's no single answer, it depends how much privacy your
users want.  It will almost certainly need user read/write/execute,
possibly with group/other read/execute too (that's 700 for just user
read/write/execute, or 755 for user read/write/execute + group/other
read/execute). Look at what permissions YOUR home directory has, for
example, and use that. You really should be able to work out an octal
permission mode from the information produced by "ls -ld $HOME".

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and