Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:33:28 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern.ipc.maxpipekva in 10

--nDxRs8puTCG68fn9SxO05VKmn7UHKfc9p

Hello,

Since upgrading to 10.0-RC5 three days ago (from 9-STABLE), I've been
greeted with the "kern.ipc.maxpipekva exceeded; see tuning(7)" message
each morning. This is a desktop system and it stays on overnight. The
workload is exactly the same as before.

I'm guessing the most probable reason is a socket leak in an application
(also from the logs: "Synergy 1.3.8: 2014-01-15T07:02:12 WARNING: cannot
listen for clients: cannot bind address: Address already in use
/wrkdirs/usr/ports/sysutils/synergy/work/synergy-1.3.8-Source/src/cmd/syn=
ergys/synergys.cpp,520)",
but I'm puzzled about two things:

1) why it didn't happen on 9.x
2) why it appears to completely disable my system.

When this condition happens, the system cannot spawn new processes
(probably because it has to allocate stdin/out/err) so I can't do much
except reboot it ("killall" is its own binary, and so is "su"). Somehow
I think this should not happen, especially since synergys runs as a
nonprivileged process under my user account. It even seems like a
possible DoS attack vector.

Any thoughts?