Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 19:17:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD SMP

> A dual system would work great, however I need a 64-Bit PCI slot to hold
> this Ultra 160 SCSI controller *and* I'd like to avoid spending $2500 in
> RDRAM to get what we already have in SDRAM :-)

	An older Intel mainboard should offer both SDRAM slots and a 64 bit
   PCI slot, shouldn't it? You can also look at something like a Compaq
   Proliant 5500 (I think!) that can go as high as 4 Xeon CPU's and 8GB
   of SDRAM. I just don't know if it has a 64 bit PCI slot in it, however.

	Also check the 10 options that come up when you specify "quad"
   in the mainboard section of Price Watch. You have choices from Intel,
   SuperMicro and American Megatrends. In fact, the SuperMicro S2QR6
   board comes with a built in U160W SCSI controller. For a mere $2600...

								Bruce