Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2000 03:34:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ixokai <ixokai@cerebralmaelstrom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Old->New Harddrive; Old Q, I know, need verification

Howdy.

Okay, i've looked through the archives and on freebsddiary.org, and just
want to make sure that I have everything down right. :)

The situation: I have two hdd's installed currently (one's
new'n'empty). The origional one had Windows and FreeBSD 4.1.1 sharing
10gigs, the new one is 30 total.

I've repartitioned the new drive, preparing to give FreeBSD 20gigs on it,
and they are currently mounted in /mnt (/), /mnt/usr, and /mnt/var. Not to
mention a swapfile, of course.

I am prepared to use tar, as described on freebsddiary.org, to copy the
relevant partitions over to the new drive. Then, i'm not clear exactly
what to do. Both of these drives are IDE, and I keep seeing people talk
about SCSI and SCSI ID's.

I'm _assuming_ I need to change something in some boot config
somewhere. Incidentely, the new drive shows up in my bootmgr menu already,
with nothing on it, as 'Disk X', where X is a number I forget. :)

Thanks.

--Ix