Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 2008 11:19:50 -0500
From:      Matt <datahead4@gmail.com>
To:        "Michal Kulczewski" <kulka@man.poznan.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd7 & kde4 & performance

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Michal Kulczewski <kulka@man.poznan.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a little bit disappointed with the performance of kde4 on freebsd7.
> I have Pentium M 2GHz, 1GB RAM, radeon x300, tried both, radeon and ati
> drivers, but kde4 is still so slow that I cannot work with it. Is it
> because of poor graphic card or driver itself? I'm looking forward to
> any suggestions.

I've had good experience with the latest KDE4 ports using 7-STABLE and
the ULE scheduler on i386 even with desktop effects enabled.  Hardware
is a dual-core Opteron 2.5GHz with 2GB mem and a NVidia 6800GS video
card (with NVidia binary drivers).  Using only a couple of performance
hints found on the mailing lists:

QT/glib issue -
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2008-August/003612.html
Konqueror tweak -
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2008-September/003893.html
NVidia driver settings (not applicable if you're using ATI hardware,
obviously) - http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118088

Of the three things listed above, the glib and NVidia settings
resulted in very noticeable performance improvements for me.  Also,
remember that hal and dbus need to be enabled and running.

Hope that helps,
Matt