Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:14:26 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Load balancing routes?

In the last episode (Sep 01), Gabriel Ambuehl said:
> Hello,
> I'd like to know whether there's a facility to do Ethernet load
> balancing (having two NICs in one machine) in FreeBSD. The background
> is that I've got a 512 cable uplink here and getting 1024 would be
> way more expensive than having two independent 512 ones. So I'm
> really interested if I can get a NAT box to share the load among
> those two lines...

Ok; you don't want to load balance Ethernet NICs (this implies bonding
the two NICs together as one IP/MAC address, also called port trunking
or bonding).  You want to balance the load across two routers?

> Some details about the cablemodems:
> Those are 1st(?) generation Com21 models acting merely as some kind of
> bridge (routing your ethernetframes over cable into the backbone) and
> don't use their own IP nor are they acting as a conventional IP router.

If they don't have their own IP, are you assigned a static IP, or what?
and what is your default route?

> Cablecompany doesn't seem to have an idea which IP is connected to
> which modem or which MAC address (as they finally gave up trying to
> get traffic data for traffic based billing and now officially offer flat).
> The modems itself have got a MAC address, I think (there's atleast a
> sticker with one on the ground).

I imagine your setup looks like this:

|      |   | H +---+ Cablemodem #1
|      |   | B +---+ Cablemodem #2

If not, please draw a picture of your own

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com