Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:55:41 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Blocking Napster (WAS: IPFW bug/incoming TCP connections being let in.)

> > > I had blocked incoming TCP connections coming into my network using
> > > IPFW, and I noticed that my brother was able to establish a Napster
> > > connection, even though I had blocked it earlier.
> >
> > *sigh*
> >
> > Thanks to Guy Helmer for being patient with me as I fretted about this.
> >
> > I just found out that Napster leaves a client running in the background,
> > and even though I had added firewall rules to block new connections to
> > the server, the old 'established' connection was still up and running.
> >

> This might be helpful to you and others.  Since napster uses what ever
> ports it can find the best way is to block the servers.
>
> # Napster
> $fwcmd add deny tcp from any to 208.178.163.56/29 via tun0
> $fwcmd add deny tcp from any to 208.178.175.128/29 via tun0
> $fwcmd add deny tcp from any to 208.49.239.240/28 via tun0
> $fwcmd add deny tcp from any to 208.49.228.0/24 via tun0
> $fwcmd add deny tcp from any to 208.184.216.0/24 via tun0

I had these rules in place, but it appears that there are new servers in
place.  I also had to to add

> $fwcmd add deny tcp from any to 64.124.41.0/24 via tun0

(I'm guessing it's a class C, I just had hit two addresses in that
block, so I blocked the entire class C.)

The above is the reason I was trying to do a 'port' block of the Napster
servers, because trying to keep up with IP addresses is a real pain in
the butt...

Nate