Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 1996 16:56:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Request for context

Good afternoon.

I have been "informed" that some of the Freebsd people didn't like my
send-pr report of the traceroute problme and a patch to fix it.

I would like confirmation if so.  You can post it here or contact me
privately.

For everyone else's edification, I have decided that as a matter of policy I
intend to send "prs" in on any and all future security problems that I find,
AND post to this list at the same time all details of same.

I will not do this unless I also have a patch to fix the problem.  But
neither will I "hoard", or permit others to "hoard", fixes which for
problems which are likely in wide circulation in the hacker community.

This ruckus has already damaged, and perhaps even destroyed, working
relationships between ourselves and another Chicagoland ISP.  I absolutely
will not compromise on security issues -- if you are aware of these, and do
NOT send commits for the fixes, you are just as guilty IMHO as those who
would practice the exploitation itself.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
			     | 23 Chicagoland Prefixes, 13 ISDN, much more
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!