Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:00:34 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syncing local filesystems

At 02:00 PM 8.16.2002 +0200, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
>Hi listmembers.
>
>I have a machine that stores some vital information.
>This machine has to be restored asap in case of a failure, so the
>usual solution with restoring from backup tapes is too slow to be
>usefull here.
>Right now, Im testing a machine that has 2 identical drives, ad0
>and ad2. They are both mounted in sleds, so in case of a disk
>crash the disk can be replaced in seconds.
>I would like a simple way to make ad2 an exact clone of ad0. Ive
>tried a few different approaches to accomplish this, all had some
>problems that makes me think there must be a better way.
>
>Any suggestions or ideas are much appreciated.
>
>--

...a lot snipped out...

Rocky: I didn't see any other replies, so here is a script I picked up here
the other day and modified, and tested (just as if a crash happened, moved
cables to 2nd HD and booted -- worked fine) because I want to do exactly
the same thing as you... quick backup of main HD to another one for quick
restore by just moving some cables.

The script uses dump and is for the initial dump/restore of the WHOLE hard
disk ad0s1 to ad1s1 (in my case). Yours would be ad0s1 to ad2s1 of course.
Alas, entire HD dump/restore takes twice as long as dd, but as you say,
then incrementals can be done afterwards with dump. As a thought, use this
script to do the first whole backup, then modify the script for
incrementals. As you can see, it knows how to mount/umount the second HD.

Let me know if youy try it and what you did to modify for incrementals. I
haven't done that yet. Here's the script:

sageame@sagec$ more dump.res.1-2
#!/bin/sh
## To backup ad0s1 to ad1s1
#
#
cd /
/sbin/umount /mnt

/sbin/fdisk -BI ad1
/sbin/disklabel -w -r -B ad1s1 auto
/sbin/disklabel -r ad0 > /usr/local/etc/backups/disk.label
/sbin/disklabel -R -B ad1s1 /usr/local/etc/backups/disk.label

/sbin/newfs -U /dev/ad1s1a
/sbin/newfs -U /dev/ad1s1e
/sbin/newfs -U /dev/ad1s1f

/sbin/mount -rw /dev/ad1s1a /mnt
cd /mnt
/sbin/dump -0f - / | /sbin/restore -rf -

cd /
/sbin/umount /mnt

/sbin/mount -rw /dev/ad1s1e /mnt
cd /mnt
/sbin/dump -0f - /var | /sbin/restore -rf -

cd /
/sbin/umount /mnt

/sbin/mount -rw /dev/ad1s1f /mnt
cd /mnt
/sbin/dump -0f - /usr | /sbin/restore -rf -

cd /
/sbin/umount /mnt

#
# END