Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 00:34:28 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I really really really need some help with this 'make' problem... PLEASE

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 05:36:19PM -0800, Bsd Neophyte wrote:

> --- "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 11:58:32PM -0800, Bsd Neophyte wrote:
> > You X11 install is messed up or incomplete. How did you install X? Did
> > you install it from sysinstall(8) without checking the,
> >
> >   [ ]  prog   Programmer's header and library files
> >
> > Box? You needed to if you want to build ports that depend on X. You
> > can either go back to sysinstall(8) or rebuild X in the ports.
>
> you're something else... I couldn't find the "prog" bit anywhere...

If you chose a distribution that includes X, you'll end up at a window
that lets you pick parts of the X distribution. The 'prog' choice is
under on the 'Basic Componet' menu. As an example, start
/stand/sysinstall, pick 'Upgrade,' go past the "scary stuff," chose
"X-User," make your crypto choices, and you then get to the X
menu. Choose "Basic component menu," and there is the line I quoted
above.

> so I
> reinstalled XFree86 3.3.6 from the ports... and then I tried installing
> gtk12 and mozilla from the ports... AND IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :))))))))

Good/

> only one problem though... after I reinstalled it from the ports... well
> the windows manager seems to freeze on me.

When you get back to the shell you ran the 'startx' from, are there
any error messages? Next time you run it,

  For a csh-type shell,
  $ startx >& startx.out
  For a sh-type shell,
  $ startx > startx.out 2>&1

And send along the startx.out if there is anything useful in it.

> i type "startx" and something happens... but the windows manager never
> seems to refresh... I had alot of terminal boxes but they're all empty,
> w/o a cursor.
>
> when I ran the reinstall did I screw something up?

I don't see why it would. But it is possible. The symptoms are strange
if the manager starts, but you do not get your shell prompts.