Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:50:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, walter@belgers.com
Subject:   Re: bootable install CD - relocate to subdir

Walter Belgers <walter@belgers.com> wrote:
 > I am a board member of the Dutch Unix Users Group, and we would like to
 > make a DVD with several free/open UNIX releases together with the Dutch
 > Hobby Computer Club/UNIX.
 >
 > The DVD boots a program that lets the user select the OS (s)he wants to
 > install, and then pseudo-boots the boot image of that OS.

Are you using GRUB as the boot selector, or something else?
(I'm interested because I'm preparing something similar.)

 > Problem: all the FreeBSD files need to be in /. This clashes with other
 > distributions on the same DVD. I would like to have everyting in
 > /FreeBSD or some other subdirectory instead.
 >
 > Has anybody done such a thing before, or knows of someone who has?

Yes, I've done a DVD9 with several BSD variants on it.  You
can put FreeBSD in a subdirectory; it does _not_ have to be
in the root directory of the DVD-ROM.  You don't have to hack
sysinstall, it already searches several possible directory
names, for example the name of the release ("5.3-RELEASE").

You can find the appropriate code at the end of the file
src/*/sysinstall/media.c (where * is "release" for FreeBSD
4.x and "usr.sbin" for 5.x).  In short, it searches the
following directories, relative to the media base:

        /
        /FreeBSD
        /releases
        /$RELNAME
        /releases/$RELNAME

where "$RELNAME" is the release name (e.g. "5.3-RELEASE").

Best regards
   Oliver

"Being really good at C++ is like being really good
at using rocks to sharpen sticks."
        -- Thant Tessman